The Blackfriar brand has been making its mark on the paints and varnishes industry for over one hundred years. The Blackfriar business has its origins in the Ostrich Paint and Varnish works, established in Bristol in 1894, where founder Ernest Parsons spent eight successful years before forming his own business.
Family-owned for over 100 years, Blackfriar was built on a tradition of supplying high quality paints and woodcare products to independent merchants, craftsmen and DIY enthusiasts. In 2004 Blackfriar became part of the Tor Coatings Group, cementing its position at the premium end of the paint and varnishes industry. Today the company manufactures and markets the Blackfriar range from its facility in County Durham, England.